Friday, July 15, 2016

Frequency -- Adverbs and "times per" Expressions

Frequency

When I do frequency, I do not start out with this worksheet in the first lesson.  I want my students to have some fluency with the material, so this means we spend a few weeks or more on just this topic.

For the first lesson, I write the adverbs on the board in a column, and have students give me the approximate percentages.  I also write up "Do you . . ." and "Do you like to . . . ." questions with model answers in blanks.  Then I ask students what they like to do.  (I often will ask them in their native language to help make them more comfortable and willing to speak.)  If there is time in the first lesson, I will ask students to tell me which activities they like by a show of hands.

In the next lesson, I start out writing the previous two questions with model answers and adverbs of frequency on the board.  If the class is struggling, I will quickly write up several activities to help the students as well.  I get them to answer just the "Do you . . . " and "Do you like to . . . " questions.  For the students with more skill, I will ask for a 1 word answer for "How often . . .".  

 In later lessons, I add an answer for the "How often  do you . . ." question.  I try to add one or two more example questions each class too.  This is about the point that I give the handout.
As the class begins to demonstrate some mastery over answering frequency questions with adverbs, I will then add the "X times per Y" model answer too.  Students can give answers with either structure, or the teacher can prompt the student with question phrasing.

Around this point, I will make some time for students to ask me questions.  I normally will answer with both the adverbial model and the "X times per Y" model so the students can see each in practice.  Since their English is pretty basic, I make a point to have some fun with these questions.  If they ask how often I brush my teeth, then I tell them once a week.  If they ask me how often I drink beer (usually one of the boys will try this), then it's 3 times per hour!  If they ask me how often I kiss my wife, I say "Never!"  Then I hold my nose and say "bad breath."  That's always good for a laugh, and it keeps the students engaged.

Hope this helps!  Good Luck!!

PDF Version.  Download with no formatting issues and use immediately.


Editable Document.  Saved in .odt format from LibreOffice*.  It should open just fine in MS Word and most other programs.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Ont3RdNUNkRmhaQVNKMzZZMUU


*If you need a good and free office suite, you can get LibreOffice for free here:

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/ 






No comments:

Post a Comment